No products in the cart.
Modern and Edgy Throw Blanket
Granny square throw blankets are making a comeback with a modern twist. This edgy and modern throw blanket is an example of how simple granny squares can be used to create modern and trendy designs.
I found a picture of this granny square throw blanket, however, couldn’t find a pattern associated with it, so I wrote down a pattern.
But I will keep looking and will credit the original designer of this blanket, once I find him/her.
This blanket took about 15 hours to make, but it was worth it.
ch – chain loop
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
Size can be customized based on your requirements. Just reduce or increase the number of motifs.
This blanket measures 57″ X 68″, without the tassels.
1 Motif measure 12″x12″ square.
This blanket was made by joining 20 motifs in 5 rows and 4 columns. This can be customized based on your requirement by adding or subtracting motifs.
—- Motif instructions —
Row 1: Ch 4 and join with sl st to form a ring. ( You can also use a magic circle, if you so choose)
Row 2: 8 single crochet in the ring and join with sl st to the first stitch.
Row 3: Ch 3 and 2 dc in the same stitch. Chain 1, 3 dc in each of the remaining 7 sc. Join with slip stitch to the first stitch. (You should have 3 dc in each of the 8 sc).
Row 4: Ch 3, turn. 2 dc in Ch 1 sp. *Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space, Ch2, 3 dc in next Ch 1 sp * – repeat from * 2 more times. Ch1, 3 dc in next ch1 sp, Ch2 , join with sl st to the first stitch.
Row 5: Ch3, *(dc in each st and 1 dc in ch1 sp till you reach Ch2 sp. 2 dc,Ch2,2dc in Ch2 space.)* Repeat from *3 more times. Join with sl st to top of the first ch3 st.
Row 6: Repeat Row 5.
Row 7: Ch4 (counts as first dc and ch1), *(sk 1dc, 1 dc in next st till you reach Ch2 sp. 2dc, Ch2, 2 dc in Ch2 space), repeat from * 3 more times. Join with slst to the top of first Ch3 stitch.
Row 8 and 9: Repeat Row 5.
Row 10: hdc all around with 2hdc, ch2, 2hdc in corner stitches. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
— Motif Complete—-
Throw Blanket Construction Instructions
- Create 20 motifs in total.
- Join the motifs in 5 rows and 4 columns. With the right side of the motifs facing each other, join with sc into the back loops of the hdc.
- Once all the motifs are joined, sc all around in back loop of hdc, with 3sc in the corner stitches. Join with sl st to first st.
- Ch1, hdc in same st, dc in same st, sk 2 stitches, *(sc,hdc,dc in next st, sk 2 st) – Repeat from * to corner st. In the center corner st – sc,hdc,dc,hdc,sc in same st. Skip 1 st and repeat from * to corner st and follow corner st instructions. join with sl st to first ch1 st.
- Create chubby tassels and attach to the narrow ends of the blanket.