No products in the cart.
Modern and Edgy Throw Blanket
Granny square throw blankets are making a comeback with a modern twist. This edgy and modern throw blanket is an example of how simple granny squares can be used to create modern and trendy designs.
I found a picture of this granny square throw blanket, however, couldn’t find a pattern associated with it, so I wrote down a pattern.
But I will keep looking and will credit the original designer of this blanket, once I find him/her.
This blanket took about 15 hours to make, but it was worth it.
Yarn : Bernat Super Value Yarn – Bright Yellow – 5 skeins.
Hook Size : 6.5 mm
Fasteners or Safety Pins
ch – chain loop
sc – single crochet
hdc – half double crochet
dc – double crochet
sl st – slip stitch
Size can be customized based on your requirements. Just reduce or increase the number of motifs.
This blanket measures 57″ X 68″, without the tassels.
1 Motif measure 12″x12″ square.
This blanket was made by joining 20 motifs in 5 rows and 4 columns. This can be customized based on your requirement by adding or subtracting motifs.
—- Motif instructions —
Row 1: Ch 4 and join with sl st to form a ring. ( You can also use a magic circle, if you so choose)
Row 2: 8 single crochet in the ring and join with sl st to the first stitch.
Row 3: Ch 3 and 2 dc in the same stitch. Chain 1, 3 dc in each of the remaining 7 sc. Join with slip stitch to the first stitch. (You should have 3 dc in each of the 8 sc).
Row 4: Ch 3, turn. 2 dc in Ch 1 sp. *Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 1 space, Ch2, 3 dc in next Ch 1 sp * – repeat from * 2 more times. Ch1, 3 dc in next ch1 sp, Ch2 , join with sl st to the first stitch.
Row 5: Ch3, *(dc in each st and 1 dc in ch1 sp till you reach Ch2 sp. 2 dc,Ch2,2dc in Ch2 space.)* Repeat from *3 more times. Join with sl st to top of the first ch3 st.
Row 6: Repeat Row 5.
Row 7: Ch4 (counts as first dc and ch1), *(sk 1dc, 1 dc in next st till you reach Ch2 sp. 2dc, Ch2, 2 dc in Ch2 space), repeat from * 3 more times. Join with slst to the top of first Ch3 stitch.
Row 8 and 9: Repeat Row 5.
Row 10: hdc all around with 2hdc, ch2, 2hdc in corner stitches. Cut yarn and weave in ends.
— Motif Complete—-
Throw Blanket Construction Instructions
- Create 20 motifs in total.
- Join the motifs in 5 rows and 4 columns. With the right side of the motifs facing each other, join with sc into the back loops of the hdc.
- Once all the motifs are joined, sc all around in back loop of hdc, with 3sc in the corner stitches. Join with sl st to first st.
- Ch1, hdc in same st, dc in same st, sk 2 stitches, *(sc,hdc,dc in next st, sk 2 st) – Repeat from * to corner st. In the center corner st – sc,hdc,dc,hdc,sc in same st. Skip 1 st and repeat from * to corner st and follow corner st instructions. join with sl st to first ch1 st.
- Create chubby tassels and attach to the narrow ends of the blanket.
You can modify this by adding white and grey motifs too. You can also create this with different patterns of motifs and combine them.
Try this out and tag me with @valziesboutique on instagram.
Hope you have fun creating this modern and edgy throw blanket.